Saturday, March 6, 2010

Time Travels



    
This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 8; the eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
Time Travels When...

 



When Gulli-Danda & Kanche (marbles) were more popular than cricket.
When we always had friends to play aais-paais (I Spy), chhepan-chhepai
& pitthoo anytime ...

When we desperately waited for 'Yeh Jo Hai
Jindagi' (Doordarshan serial)
When chitrahaar, vikram-baitaal,  
Dada Daadi Ki Kahaniyaanwere so fulfilling.
When there was just one Tv in every five houses and...

When Bisleris were not sold in the trains and we were worrying if papas  
will get back into the train in time or not when they were getting down  
at stations to fill up the water bottle ...

When we were going to bed by 9.00pm sharp except for the  
'Yeh Jo Hai Jindagi' day ..When Holis & Diwalis meant mostly  
hand-made pakwaans and sweets and moms seeking  
our help while preparing them ...When Maths teachers were  
not worried of our Mummies and papas while slapping/beating us ..


When we were exchanging comics and stamps and  
Chacha-Chaudaris & Billus were our heroes ..

When we were in Nanihaals every summer and loved  
flying kites and plucking and  
eating unripe mangoes and leechies ..

When one movie every Sunday evening on television was more  
than asked for and 'ek do teen chaar' and 'Rajani' inspired us ..
When 50 paisa meant at least 10 toffees ...

When left over pages of the last years notebooks were used for rough
 work or even fair work ...When 'Chelpark' and 'Natraaj' were  
encouraged against 'Reynolds & family' ...

 
When the first rain meant getting drenched and playing in water and  
mud and making 'kaagaj ki kishtis' ... When there were no  
phones to tell friends that we will be at their homes
at six in the evening ..




 
When our parents always had 15 paise blue colored 'Antardesis' and  
5 paise machli wale stamps at home ...
When we remembered tens of jokes and were not finding 'ice-cream &  
papa' type jokes foolish enough to stop us from laughing ...
When we were not seeing patakhes on Diwalis and gulaalson
Holis as air and noise polluting or allergic agents ...

The list can be endless ...On the serious note I would like
to summarize with ...
When we were using our hearts more than our brains,  
even for scientifically brainy activities like 'thinking' and 'deciding' ..
When we were crying and laughing more often,
more openly and more sincerely ..
 
When we were enjoying our present more than worrying about our future ..
When being emotional was not synonymous to being weak ...
When sharing worries and happiness didn't mean getting  
vulnerable to the listener .. When blacks and whites were  
the favorite colors instead of greys ...
When journeys also were important and not just the destinations ...
When life was a passenger's sleeper giving enough time and  
opportunity to enjoy the sceneries
from its open and transparent glass windows instead of some
super fast's second ac with its curtained, closed and dark windows ...
I  really miss them(From the bottom of my heart).. But Then Time Travels Like This Only..


The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
 
 
 

 



     

22 comments:

  1. @ Roma

    Indeed U made me very nostalgic and emotional right this moment..Wonder if I successfully connect with you feeling!! It like..
    "Mele Sur Mera Tumhara...(the old one fo sure!)
    Aur didi ye Anek kya hota hai...chanda ek...ting ting ting..Tare Aknek...ek ek karke..heheh" Look wat haveyou done to me..I'm singing apprantly..


    Beautiful amalgation of lost memories and Time Travel...yes only thing which is constant is the Change! Weldone!!

    Keep the Spark Alive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nostalgic post this one is!!! Loved it. Took me back to my childhood days !!! How I wish i could go back and enjoy everything that you have mentioned once again!!! :) Read my take on this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey a nice take on the topic Roma.. the most i liked was
    When Bisleris were not sold in the trains and we were worrying if papas
    will get back into the train in time or not when they were getting down
    at stations to fill up the water bottle ...

    was fun reading it.. nd yeah welcome to blogaton :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachana Shakyawar, @evanescentthoughts & @Vipul Grover Thanx for all the motivational words..Time has indeed traveled fast & we miss the golden old days.

    And @Vipul Grover Thanx for welcoming me to blogaton..Its really a good platform for bloggers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, it was beautifully written! Loved it. Many parts I could easily connect with myself, and with the things I have heard from my parents, and my grandmother! :) All the best for BATOM!

    PS: http://bit.ly/aliensandme

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roma, this was indeed a beautiful post.. transported me right back to my childhood! now that I think of it, time had indeed changed so very much!I feel like I belong to a completely different generation all together..

    Doordarshan, Natraj Pencil, Chacha Choudhury, Pinky (read it more than Billu ;-)Supoerhit Muquabla, Friday movies on TV... I shud stop now before I go on rambling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaaah..... totally nostalgia...time does indeed fly....:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nostalgic it is.!!
    Keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! is the word that escaped through my lips over and over again as I read through your post! Nostalgia at its best! Sometime back when I uploaded the 'Suraj ek Chanda ek taare anek' video on orkut, my friends went LOL! Who cares! I love the oldies!

    I can write a comment on each and every single thing of the past you have mentioned here! Now that, apparently will make it look like a post in itself rather than a comment! So I better sum up by saying, I totally enjoyed this! Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Roma!

    It was fun reading your post and I must say that you've taken a different take to this topic...

    I cannot relate very easily to those olden and golden moments, since I am a person of the new generation, still 16 years old and trying to understand the World!

    Anyway, I got a perspective of the 60's and the 70's here.. Thanks for that! Also All the Best for BATOM-8!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heylo Roma,
    The way you have expressed the idea was superb. The amalgamation of pictures with the descriptions indeed bought the good old memories back. Overall, its a thumps up:)
    Love & Peace
    Viv

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very nostalgic wal-through you gave us here, excellent writing!

    all the best for BATOM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a nostalgic and enjoyable read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @The Virgin Author ,@Debosmita ,@Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe,@Raksha Raman ,@Parth J Dave ,@Vivek Nanda, @Mural! ,@ Leo ..Thank You all of few for every word you spelled on me ..

    Its my pleasure that I was able to take all of u down the memory lane..

    ReplyDelete
  15. good one! those were truly great days :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You took me back to my childhood days. I'm really touched. Thank you so much for writing this post.

    You know, I still thought it was 'aais-paais' until I read this post. Lol.. Didn't really know the correct name. Some revelation, that.

    All the best for BATOM!
    Cheerios! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. its been a very long time I have seen TV regularly....I was regular that time only. :)

    Loved that Rachana's line for ... .."Anek"..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am clapping for the post......
    i became quite emotional so much so that i did time travel to my childhood ..... the soothing narration and the unsaid words did touch the memories block in a gentle way and knocked the gate of golden days....
    all i can say is that am considering this post for voting...its in top 5 as of now :)
    al d best for bat 8 ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Harsha Chittar ,@Karthik ,@Makk ,@Mahesh Kalaal Hi Guyz thanx for all ur lovely comments..

    ReplyDelete
  20. aaaha that was so nostalgic.... got me thinking about malgudi days and times when we prefered eating buddi ka bal instead of a pizzas at pizza hut... loved the post completely....

    Cheers!
    Tavish
    Blog: Sensible Bakwas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice. Sigh ! Those good old days of my childhood. DD serials for instance. They were of such good quality. Now so many channels but absolute crap on all of them. But I guess life moves on. You win some, you loose some. Can't imagine life without internet - Interestingly I had resisted using internet till 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  22. True !!! Sometimes time changes so fast !! All the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Share |